peculiar relic of Armenia, which encloses the history of countless centuries,
Khnzoresk is so ancient that nobody remembers its beginning. This is
a place where fire is brightly kept since the goddess Anahit. Nobody
knows exactly when the human being stepped into this mysterious canyon,
when that enormous, incomparable stonemade "Complex" was created.
Here the centuries seem to be moments.
origin of the word "Khndzoresk" is unknown, but there are
some explanations referring to its origin.One of them reveals that the
root of the word is "Khndzor,"that is in Armenian "Apple,"which
is abundant in this area, another explanation is that in ancient times
the village was called "Khor Dzor " that is "Deep Canyon"
which carried some phonetic changes and became today's name. In fact,
all these versions can be accepted as both the canyons and apples are
living in Khndzoresk preserve the tomb of Mkhitar Sparapet (Commander-in-chief
of Armenian army) in the place called Desert in the middle of the canyon,
with sanctity. Before Christianity there were heathenish sanctuaries,
but after adopting Christianity, 4 churches were build in Khndzoresk;
Snt. Hripsime, Snt. Tadeos, The church of the Desert; and the old Church.
Khndzoresk must be protected as a big museum.
Such a wonderful place is rarely found in the World.
1950 Khndzoresk moved to the plain. Khndzoresk struggled for its freedom
and independence and had lost many of its brave fighters.Among them
we should mention the commander of Guard Nerses Baloian, the commander
of division Nerses Baluyan ; general major Sergey Karapetyan ; the hero
of Sov. Union.Gurgen Arzumanyan. Khndzoresk is famous for both its heroic
past and its sons who has played a great role in science and art. Now
Khndzoresk lives with great hope for future. Every year a number of
tourists visit Khndzoresk to admire the miracle of the nature.